Mary E. Powell

Mary E. Powell
At Yorktown Waterfront

Saturday, February 17, 2024

Do I Disturb the Signal, by being a Signal Jammer?

     While I was recently out of town, my husband had to be available for a technician to come and check our cable service from the pole to the modem and router. The reason on the ticket that was left for us said that our outage was due to "ingress & egress". (I understood after all was repaired that the cable company thought something in our home or network was causing a problem for the neighbors, it was not just our service that had the problem.) So, sometime on Saturday the technician came and looked our equipment over, and ended up climbing the pole to get our service up and running again. There are less than 50 houses in our neighborhood, and they thought ours was the source of the disturbance. 

     But this did stir up some curiosity in me, so I looked up the definition of "ingress". 

    Ingress - "the act of entering; the power or liberty of entering, or access." (Taken from https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ingress#:~:text=noun-,in%C2%B7%E2%80%8Bgress%20%CB%88in%2D%CB%8Cgres,power%20or%20liberty%20of%20entering

  Egress - "the place or means of going out; the action or right of going or coming out." (taken from https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/egress

     Sometimes, where there are problems of ingress for access like cable/internet, it is said that there is "noise" that is causing the problem. 

My mind was kind of spinning a bit. The first thing that I thought of tonight, is the song from Sunday School, "Be Careful Little Eyes What You See." I am responsible to be careful of what I watch, and listen to. 

Psalm 101:3a "I refuse to gaze on that which is vulgar." (TPT)

My eyes and ears are gates to my heart and mind, and I am the keeper of those gates, responsible for what I allow to enter. But, as a believer,  I am given authority over the fish of the sea, the birds of the air, over the cattle, and over all the earth and over things that creep on the earth. (My version of Genesis 1: 26). I am not given charge over other people, but I am given it over the earth... that means much more than what I have grasped, so far, or what I have walked in. 


In me, what do I let in? 

  In my home, what do I let in? 

    In my neighborhood, do I make a difference? 

      In my county, do I make a difference? 


I am old enough to remember when video games were a system that was connected to the family television set. In the back of the set was a device used to change the "input" from the antenna to the game system. It looked a lot like this.

(Picture from Google)



But watching television meant you were either using your antenna, OR you had cable coming in. There were a couple of different styles of the antenna, too. One was directly attached to the set inside, the other was wired to it all the way from the roof, and some even had a motor that you could turn it to get better signal.


What signal am I tuned to, or what signal am I attracting? 

Then, I started asking myself this question... what am I blocking? 

The technician from the cable company mentioned both ingress and egress, and a gatekeeper doesn't just let things in, they keep things out. Now it is not as much using the switch to change between antenna signal and the game system; but it is the wireless signals coming in from everywhere, unless there is a signal jammer, of some kind. While "gatekeeper" sound somewhat "Lord of the Rings" or like a fairy tale,  they are usually dark images. Today, there are gated communities with a guard house and gates and/or guards to control the traffic in and out. 

(Photo from Google)


In my community, am I an effective gate keeper, and signal jammer? 

Do I pray for my neighbors? 

Do I bless my neighborhood?

Do I host, in person, and in my home, the presence of the Lord?

Do I speak the Lord's will to be done in and around it? 


I want to be the antenna for His presence, and host for His glory, and the signal jammer to keep the enemy/evil out of my neighborhood/community.


Father, thank you for the wonderful message from something as simple as  an internet outage. Thank you for showing the importance of what I allow into my eye and ear gates. 

Help me each day to be the antenna tuned to pick up what You are saying, or showing me, and help me to be a host of Your presence and glory, while being the signal jammer for what is not in your plan for me, my family, my neighborhood, my city. 

Help me to be the gatekeeper here, where you have placed me. Help me to  bloom where I am planted, and to keep the weeds from the garden. All for Your Kingdom, and for Your glory. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful and challenging word to us as gatekeepers over our souls and over the sphere of influence (e.g., Garden of Eden) assigned to us by the Lord. Our decisions to obey Holy Spirits lead impact us, our family, our neighbor, our workplace, and our city/town. Help us yeid afresh to You, Lord. Amen.

    ReplyDelete