Mary E. Powell

Mary E. Powell
At Yorktown Waterfront

Thursday, February 22, 2024

Time for Spring Cleaning

This week, I woke up singing a song, that we sang at church this past Sunday. It is a fairly new one for us, but as I woke up to it ringing through my spirit, just the title spoke to my heart.

 Make Room...


Over the past couple of weeks, I have felt that the Lord has pulled back, but not because of me, or something I did wrong, but for me to pursue Him.

The song lyrics speak...

    Lay down burdens

    Lay down lies and doubt

    Surrender, to His plans


These are all things I keep being reminded about... 

1 Peter 5:7 -"Casting all your care upon Him for He cares for you."

When I used to read this, I usually thought of laying down things that I thought were bad, only. While the word "care" is defined as "anxiety" the word "care" itself, as a verb, means "to have a liking, interest, or taste." (definition taken from: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/care) That definition makes the verse take a whole new meaning! 

I care for my family, and friends. I care for my house and vehicle- as in I take care of them. I care for a lot, as well as I have "cares" that have weight, because they are the worries and stresses, that make me think on them more that others. I care for my family member or friend that is ill, not only in doing what I can to help, but the extra times they come to my mind, and the extra times I lift them up in prayer. 

The song lyrics go on to say, "I will make room for You, to do whatever You want to."

It hasn't been that long since we moved into the house we are now living in, but now that we're there, I have realized I want to rearrange a couple of larger items, because I want to add a couple of pieces of furniture/equipment in a room. In adding those, I need to decide which pieces are more functional for my needs, and which are more desired, in order to make room for the right pieces. 

In my heart, it is not much different. I need to consider what is taking away from time I could be spending with the Lord. I need to weigh the function of it, and what is working for my good, and what is not working for my good. What is a good use of my time and what isn't? 

This is not a new process. I've done this some previously, but just like in my house I will repeatedly need to go through closets, drawers, shelves, and even rooms to get rid of things; so it is in my heart. Some things are needed at during one stage of life, where they are not once that stage has passed. As I grow, the needs are different. 

I am reminded of the passage where John says, "He must increase, but I must decrease." (John 3:30- NKJV) I have heard so many different messages, and explanations of this verse, and right now all I can think of, is that the part of me that is not who I am meant to be MUST decrease. This includes all the distractions that keep me from time to be all that I am called to be, and I need to allow the Lord and His influence in my heart, mind, and actions to increase, so that what I do has fruit and brings glory for the Lord.


Lord, I love that You love me. I love that You desire to be with me, and for me to be with you. Help me to make room for more of You and Your influence in my heart, life, and actions. Help me to lay down all of my cares, not just those that are worries, but even those that are "good", allowing You to care for them, which is better than anything I can do. Help me to press in past all the distractions to more of You, and more time with you. Thank you! 

1 comment:

  1. It’s definitely Spring Cleaning time here! Things seem to accumulate faster than I can organize and rearrange them. All I truly need is a place for Jesus and me! The rest will be provided! Well done, Mary Beth! You gave me food for thought! Gail

    ReplyDelete