Mary E. Powell

Mary E. Powell
At Yorktown Waterfront

Friday, March 22, 2024

Do I shine?

I was sitting on the couch, working on a project while re-watching an older movie. Towards the end of the movie there is a scene where the visitor in town is invited to attend the "Lantern Walk", one of the town's oldest traditions. In the town, as fall is turning to winter, and the nights are getting darker, they bring their lit lanterns to a park/lake area, and there is a lantern, on a stand, there that is lit and then they all hold up theirs and follow a path by the light of the lanterns.

As I was watching the movie, I was struck by the simplicity of the scene, and how it is such a good picture of how we are to walk in the Light. 

I don't think it is hard to see that the world is getting darker. But as a Child of God I am supposed to be the Light, and shine it into the darkness. Right?!

The first thing I thought of, and my husband said it out loud, just as I had thought of it, was the song, "This Little Light of Mine". The lyrics say, "This little light of mine, I'm going to let it shine, let it shine, let it shine, let it shine." It goes on to say I'm not going to hide it under a bushel, I'm not going to let Satan blow it out, and I am going to shine it around the neighborhood. I remember learning this song in Sunday School, and they taught us some actions to go with it. Such a good message to teach young people. 

This all makes me think of Matthew 5: 14-16, part of what is called the Sermon on the Mount. I read it in The Passion Translation and thought I would share it from there. 

"Your lives light up the world. For how can you hide a city that stands on a hilltop? And who would light a lamp and then hide it in an obscure place? Instead, it's placed where everyone in the house can benefit from its light. So don't hide your light! Let it shine brightly before others, so that your commendable works will shine as light upon them, and then they will give their praise to your Father in heaven." (Matthew 5:14-16 The Passion Translation)

Have you ever seen someone that is doing something they love to do? Someone that is happy, or joyful, and their complexion is an extension of the smile on their face. They "shine", right?


I heard someone years ago speaking about reaching people for the Lord, and encouraging them to come to church. The basic idea was why would those that don't normally come to church, want to, when believers walk around looking like they've sucked on green persimmons? It hit me then, and it still hits me. Who would want to go somewhere with people who do not enjoy where they are and those they are with? 

Jesus is the Light of the World, and as His child, I should also shine His light. If I am staying in my small circle, and only "shining" there, am I "hiding my light" or "shining in the darkness"? When I go out to get groceries, to run errands, to the office and to support family and friends, am I "shining" and bringing His light into those places? Am I just paying attention to what I need to do, focus only on me and mine, OR am I sharing a smile, and His love to those that need it. I want to shine brightly! I want to make sure to make a difference in all the places where I go, and to those that need it. I want to make an impact for Him.

Lord, thank you for loving me, and for Your light that shines into all the dark places. Thank you that Your light reached me, and shone into my heart, helping me to see how much I needed You. Your love and Your light helped me. I want to shine with Your love and light that You placed inside me with each person I encounter through out the day, and shine Your light in the darkness. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment