Mary E. Powell

Mary E. Powell
At Yorktown Waterfront

Saturday, September 2, 2023

Overflow

It's been a while... life's been crazy...But God is always good!


I am sitting here this morning, and the verse in the devotional that I am reading is John 7:38. It says, "He who believes in Me [who cleaves to and trusts in and relies on Me] as the Scripture has said, from his innermost being shall flow [continuously] springs and rivers of living water." (AMPC) 





Then it hit me... Do I continuously flow out the streams of living water? Do I?  

I remember hearing someone speak one time about the Lord speaking to him about how he shopped. He did veer from the way most guys shop, in that he knew what he wanted, where it was in the store, and he'd go in, using the most direct route in the store to get the product, pay and leave. The biggest difference was that He did take a moment to pray before he went in, so that He was conscious of the Lord's presence because he wanted to carry that with him. If I remember correctly, the Lord wanted him to be more intentional of sharing Him with others as he went into places, and leaving His presence there, than to be intentional of getting what he needed and getting out quickly. My take-away from listening to it was to be less of a targeted irrigation, and more of a river. (LOL) I know that seems like a drastic difference, but then as you read the passage above again, it says "from his innermost being shall flow (continuously) springs and rivers"

But how does it start? It starts by telling who has those streams and rivers. The one who "believes in Me" it further describes that as cleaving, trusting, and relying. 

Here are the definitions...

*Cleave: "To glue, adhere, join, to stick". (Romans 12:9)

*Trust: Confidence; a reliance or resting of the mind of the integrity, veracity, justice, friendship or other sound principle of another person. (Proverbs 29:25)

*Rely: To rest on something, as the mind when satisfied of the veracity, integrity or ability of persons, or of the certainty of facts or of evidence; to have confidence in, to trust in, to depend; with on. (2 Chronicles 16:8)

As I look at one more version- the Message says it this way, "Rivers of living water will brim and spill out of the depths of anyone who believes in me this way, just as the Scripture says."

So, as I think of this. Do I trust, rely on, and cleave to, the Lord? Do I, deep down in my spirit? Do I? 

I have never felt like I have been very good at self evaluation. I usually feel that I am sorely lacking, in whatever area I am evaluating. SO, if I ask myself these questions, I know I do... but I would also admit that I have lots of room for growth in these areas.

I love the picture I get in reading the Message translation of it; that the "rivers of living water will brim and spill". It makes me picture myself as a container filled that overflows, instead of a pipe, faucet, or colander; which had been my thoughts on this for some time. However, if you are the colander you don't get the benefits of the water that is poured into you, it only flows through. A container that is filled to overflow is full. 

How is it filled? By being with the Lord, asking Him for the water He gives (John 4:10). After all, the water He gives is the living water. Spending time with Him, holding onto Him, trusting Him and leaning on and relying on Him- these are ways to be filled to overflowing!


Thank You, Lord for the promise of Living Water, and the promise that it can flow from me. Help me to grow in my trust of You, in the depth of my relying on and holding onto You in every season of life. As I grow in my relationship with You, learning who You are and how You are always here for me when I need you, I am filled to the overflow. Help me to slosh and leak everywhere I go, to refresh others with Your love and presence. 



*= definition from the online version of the Noah Webster's dictionary circa 1828

Both pictures from Google

No comments:

Post a Comment