Mary E. Powell

Mary E. Powell
At Yorktown Waterfront

Saturday, August 19, 2023

Do I Attract Breakthrough?

Have you been betrayed? Have you been hurt by someone? 


Most people have been either hurt or betrayed- some have been through both. Including Jesus...

This morning, as I was reading a verse during my quiet time, I saw a piece of it that I hadn't seen before. It kind of hit me between the eyes.

It is a passage that I hear at least once a month, when we partake of communion at church, but added times, when I am reading the Bible. 

1 Corinthians 11:23-24a - " For I pass on to you what I received from the Lord Himself. On the night when He was betrayed, the Lord Jesus took some break and gave thanks to God for it."

The part that hit me, "On the night when He was betrayed, the Lord Jesus... gave thanks..." (NLT)

What about this, hit me between the eyes? When I have been hurt, or felt betrayed, how did I react? 

Well, I reacted like most every person probably does. I've cried. I've been in shock. I've complained (to the Lord and to whoever would listen). But... have I reacted like Jesus did? Have I given thanks? I think that IF I have been grateful for it, it was definitely NOT the same night that it happened. 

A dear sister shared with me to take my complaining and turn it to praise. If I heard myself complaining or grumbling, to stop and find something about the thing that has upset me, that I could be grateful for- even if it is as basic as the Lord helping me to learn to be grateful in more situations.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 says, "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."

When my body aches- I thank God that I am alive to sing His praises so the Rocks won't cry out. 

- When my career seems to be struggling- I thank God that He is my Provider
- When someone hurts me, or someone I love- I need to praise Him for what He is going to work for good in this, even though I probably can't see it, at the moment. I need to thank God that He will heal the hurt. I need to thank God...

I read this in "Whispers From Heaven: Partnering with God in Powerful Prayer and Effective Intercession" by Beni Johnson, recently.

"Thankfulness is one of the most vital attributes within reach of every person alive...It would literally change the world as we know it. Thankful people attract breakthrough." (page 215)

Knowing that gratitude is the best way to get through the tough circumstances, I wanted to find an example in the Bible. (Not that Jesus being grateful was not a good one- I just thought it wouldn't hurt to look for more.) How about Paul & Silas?

Acts 16:24b-26 & 29-30 "...he put them into the inner prison and fastened their feet in the stocks. But at midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the prisoners were listening to them. Suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken; and immediately all the doors were opened and everyone's chains were loosed... Then he (the keeper of the prison) called for a light, ran in, and fell down trembling before Paul and Silas. And he brought them out and said, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?"

Paul and Silas were in prison, with their feet shackled in stocks and in the "inner prison". It seems hopeless, right? What do they do? They have a praise/worship time! I can't say I would have done that, at least not that quickly, but Paul & Silas did. I heard one minister years ago say it this way... Paul & Silas were in the dungeon, shacked... it's dark, it's damp, and it would easily be depressing... but these two decide it's time to sing, to worship the Lord. They are singing, the melody is rising to Heaven, and the Lord bends over to listen more closely. They keep on singing, and singing, the Father is really blessed, His heart is moved and all of a sudden He starts tapping his foot. They sing a song with a faster tempo, and He keeps on tapping and the earth shook, the foundation of the prison shook, and the chains and shackles were opened!  THEN, the keeper of the prison (who would have been killed for escaped prisoners) is encouraged by Paul & Silas, because all the prisoners were still there. The keeper then decides that He needs to be saved. The keeper takes Paul & Silas home, cares for the wounds, and his entire family gets saved. 

That is a pretty good example, to use, too. 

Lord, I know that living in this world means that there will be hurts, challenges, frustrations, and even betrayals. I also know that You can take everything I go through and work it for my good, and I know that You want me to be grateful in everything I experience, and You can help me to do just that. When I find myself in situations that hurt, and feel like betrayal, help me to be grateful. Help me to praise You. 
Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment