Mary E. Powell

Mary E. Powell
At Yorktown Waterfront

Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Promises unseen? Remember... and Hope!

 Have you ever opened your eyes in the morning, and maybe even not slept well through the night, with concerns that you had upset someone in your life? When you got up, they were at work (and you know you probably can't reach them if you were to try to call)- so you sit down to try to have your time with the Lord, and that is weighing pretty heavily on your mind; adding to the concern. Then the little voice in your head telling you the other person is hurt, they think you are selfish, the list goes on and on and on, making it very difficult to stay tuned in to the Lord and His presence with you, right? 

I recently experienced this, and it is probably the most real example I have ever lived of these verses:

Matthew 5:23-24 - "This is how I want you to conduct yourself in these matters. If you enter your place of worship and, about to make an offering, you suddenly remember a grudge a friend has against you, abandon your offering, leave immediately, go to this friend and make things right. Then and only then, come back and work things out with God." (MSG)

Now, that day I went through the motions, because I couldn't get to that person at that time. I did get some revelation in my quiet time with the Lord; but it opened up much more after I was able to speak with them. More revelation came once I knew that they were not upset, peace came to my heart, I was able to turn off the lies that had been bombarding me, and the peace that came was beautiful!

During the quiet time that day, I read Isaiah 46:11b, and it says this, in the New King James Version: "Indeed I have spoken it; I will also bring it to pass. I have purposed it; I will also do it." 

But the Amplified Classic says it this way: "I've said it, and I'll most certainly do it. I've planned it, so it's as good as done." 

I know that I have some promises the Lord has spoken to me that I am still waiting to see come to pass, and I know many people that can relate with this. We have these promises, words that have jumped off the pages of our Bible as we've read it; encouraging conversations with others that we have felt the weight of His presence (a witness to our spirit) when it was spoken, and we knew that the Lord was telling us He would do that for us. Many of these promises we know in our spirit, but we've also written them down, to help us remember them. As I was experiencing this, I was reminded of another verse.

Isaiah 46:9- "[Earnestly] remember the former things, [which I did] of old; for I am God, and there is no one else; I am God, and there is none like me." (AMPC)

As I re-read that verse, I let my mind walk through my history... I remembered the times where I have seen things happen that when they happened I KNEW that God had moved in my life. What did this trip through my history accomplish, you may ask? Well- it stirred my gratitude in my heart. It stirred up hope- if He's answered prayers before, He'll do it again- because He never changes! It helped me to see that He is truly Good, and Faithful and His love always, ALWAYS, gets the victory!


Lord, I thank you that you are helping me to see the truth in the lessons you have for me in the Bible. I thank you that You help me to hear what is fresh for me each day, and that You remind me that it's okay to look back, only to see all You have done and how far You have brought me in my walk with You so far. You help me to "remember, the former things" that You have done, so I can trust that since You never change, and You don't lie, that the promises I have from You WILL come to pass. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment